Re: 1/4 wave theory

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "McQuay, Michael by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Michael.McQuay-at-wcg-dot-com>
> >
> > >From what I've gleaned from the list so far, I fear I may be about to
start
>> > a holy war, but I'm going to ask anyway.

>> > Is it advantageous to design a coil such that the linear feet of
>>>wire in the secondary is equal to 1/4 of the operating wavelength?

>         Simple answer is NO!

	Tend to concur.
	But.
	I suggest that is only half the question.
	The other half is:

		Should the secondary resonate as an electrical
		1/4 wave?

	(Note that THIS is a separate question.  And exceeding hard
	to predict numerically, as it depends among other things,
	on the aspect ration (length/dia) of the coil. ).

	Opinion on this seems divided, some saying 'yay, some nay.
	I tend towards:
		Secondary should resonate.

	The tricky bit seems to be to predict this, or to figger
	a way to tune a secondary.  Or to retune the primary to
	match the secondary, which is more or less fixed, once built.

	best
	dwp