Re: ~Is this safe to test

Hi,

I would NOT do this.  Three problems:

The cap size and the transformer size may be resonant.  If the output
inductance of the NST and the capacitor tune to the 60Hz line frequency, the
voltage will sky rocket to like 80,000 volts!  That will blow something up.

This may saturate the current limiting shunts in the NST which can have the
same effect as the above or cause damage due to very high current.

There is nothing to limit the short circuit current from the capacitor.  You
would be charging the cap up to say 20,000 volts and then placing a dead short
on it.  The current will be enormous in that case.  It would sound like a
machine gun.

Cheers,

        Terry