Re: ~In reply to Jimlux - Grounding question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 5:39 PM
Subject: ~In reply to Jimlux - Grounding question

<dbanse-at-comcast-dot-net>

> Me: I want to test my NST with just the spark gap, and the capacitor.
> You: "This is hard on the NST... Why not just run the NST with the gap
> alone..."
>

> Well, I wanted to test the Geek Bucket cap that I am making, and....
>
> Won't the NST just cause a constant arc from one side of the static gap to
> the other??...without a cap that is.
>
> ...and are you saying I would be able to run this setup...(NST, Cap, Gap)
> with this wiring....

Running the NST+cap+gap can cause the voltage to rise higher than it would
in normal operation (no load on it, as there would be with the entire coil
hooked up.)  On the other hand, it might not.  It all depends on the
relative values of leakage L in the NST and C in your bucket cap and the
various losses. (i.e. the overall Q).

And yes, the gap will arc continuously, but it will do that in normal
operation, won't it? (unless it's the safety gap)

> Lamp cord to the two 'mains' IN......and the ground on the other side
> connected to a water pipe....or some type of ground???
>
> I guess my question is.....is the ground on the opposite side of the
> transformer the same ground that would be connected to the green wire on a
> lamp cord?? (or whatever)

It's case ground, and connected to the midpoint of the HV winding.

> If this is the case, why would they place it on the opposite side of the
> transformer from the 'mains' IN??

Just how it's made. The case is metal, so it really doesn't matter where the
connection is, as long as it is connected.  Two of my NSTs have the ground
on the LV end.