Re: Flat secondary measurements

Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

Dave Thomson wrote:

> The optimum inductance for a given length of wire will be obtained
> when the average radius is 4/3 of the width. The width of the
> winding will be 6.349" and the average radius will be 8.5".  Total
> number of turns will be 315.9.  The total diameter of the coil will
> be 23.3".  The radius of the coil center will be 5.291".

Darned good - but too good.  You've gone below the minimum pitch of
0.025125 inches by about 20%.  You're on the right lines though.

I've received a couple of good answers, involving both flat and
solenoid coils.  Is anyone looking at any other shapes - spheres,
and more general ellipsoids, and cones?  What's happening to the max
inductance in between the two special cases of flat and solenoid?

--
Paul Nicholson