Re: Tesla Notes Re: 1/4 wave theory/cite the variance?

I think the 1/4 wave thing, in re Tesla coils, is not so much the 1/4 ground
plane antenna, but the quarter wavelength long transmission line
transformer.  (a "resonant transformer", for those so inclined)  For such a
line Z0^2 = Z1*Z2, where Z0 is the characteristic impedance of the
transmission line, and Z1 and Z2 are the impedances at the two ends.    If
you drive a very low impedance on one end, that makes the opposite end a
very high impedance.  Low impedance = high current, low voltage; high
impedance = low current, high voltage ( E = Z * I, after all)

Consider, for a moment, a 1/4 wave line of characteristic impedance 300
ohms.  Imagine you are driving it with something of impedance, say 1 ohm, at
1 volt (1 amp, 1 watt). At the other end of the line, the impedance will be
300*300 or 90,000.  Same power, so it will be 90,000 volts and 1/90,000 amp.
Now consider a transmission line with a characteristic impedance of say,
10,000 ohms.  Same quarter wave.. Now, the transformer ratio is
100,000,000...  Think about what a 10K ohm transmission line would need to
be.. Lots of inductance (like a long solenoid...) distributed along the
line.  How about a long skinny secondary?  Long skinny secondary with a
helical primary at one end, tiny topload... Most of the power is being
coupled in at the end... It starts to look more and more like a transmission
line transformer (and like the popular designs of 30 years ago or so... long
skinny coils, zillions of turns, helical primary...small topload)...

For those of you with moderately high powered HF sources (say 50-100 watts)
you can make an interesting demonstration using a pair of bare wires spaced
to make a transmission line (copper tubing works well).  If you've got a
10meter transmitter (around 28 MHz), a (free space) quarter wavelength will
be 2.5 meters (about 8 feet).  Short one end of the transmission line,
couple the transmitter to it using a few turns and a suitable toroid (so
that the 50 ohms out of the transmitter is transformed to a few ohms).  Fire
up the transmitter, and you can watch the corona/spark form at the 1/4 wave
point, and you can move it around by changing frequency.  A fine
demonstration of VSWR, by the way...  You can get the transmitter match
better by moving the ferrite toroid along one conductor a bit from the short
(which is zero ohms, and you want to find a place where the impedance is a
bit higher).