Re: Tesla Notes Re: 1/4 wave theory/cite the variance?

Hi Dave,
          I've carefully read a copy (kindly supplied by Richard
Quick) of the CSN several times and have a couple of comments:

On 18 Feb 2002, at 1:37, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> (Related, to save a post:
> Yes, i understand 1/4 wave is 1/4 wave over ground, which acts like a
> 1/2 wave...  etc...  One level deeper than seems needful here.

<snip>
> > So be very careful of getting "facts" from the Colorado Springs notes.  The
> > experiments are wonderful but the "analysis" was not ready for prime time.
> > I hate to hear people argue that soemthing there is the truth when Tesla
> > himself would not defended it in light of his later understanding.
>
> > For fun, if one has any old Tesla notes form 20 years ago.  Imagine how
> > they would sound "now" if they suddenly made the six o'clock news!
> > Maybe I should go burn mine :o))
>
> 	I suggest that there is an element (tho i disagree somewhat)
> 	in Dave Ts point that Tesla's coils WERE space wound, reducing,
> 	if not eliminating capacitance effects.  Also, Tesla's Colorado
> 	Springs coils were HUGE in diameter and SHORT in height.  This
> 	is the end of the aspect ration range where the wire length for
> 	a 1/4 wave (over ground, resonating as a half wave, counting
> 	the image....   8)))  DOES approach a 1/4 wave in physical
> 	length.

First off, Tesla's calculations based on wirelength *never* squared
up with his measurements. There is always a discrepancy. He
discovered to his chagrin that self-capacitance was a property he
couldn't eliminate and would have to live with. He regarded it as
something of an evil. His agony is written in some of the pages.

    Naturally, if you keep the height and diameter of a coil constant
and rewind it with fewer and fewer turns each time, the wirelength
does converge to its long-wire 1/4 wavelength. Just for the heck of
it, I did exactly that about three years ago. Complete waste of time
as reason told me it was going to happen before I did it.

Regards,
Malcolm