Re: Flat Coil Details

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/19/02 2:43:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Somehow I missed the start of "flat coils". Could someone refer me to the
> basic construction details? I have seen photos on the net with a discharge
> from a wire in the center. Does this mean the outside is grounded? No ball or
>
> torroid? There is some 15kv insulated 18ga wire on eBay. It would be easy to
> wind a spiral between 2 plastic plates with it because of the large wire
> diameter (.09) but that gives only 100 turns for an 18 inch diameter spiral.
> Is that practical?
> Jim Heagy (more parts than knowledge)

Hi Jim,
I think so. Tesla made 96" spirals from 10 ga wire according to some of his
writings with a one or two-turn primary on the outside. Likewise, 80:1 ratio is
about normal for mid-sized tesla coils, (800 secondary to 10 primary) so this
would be in the ballpark from both an historic and modern perspective.
Good Luck
Matt D.
G3-1085