Re: Spiral Coil test suggestions: was Re: (Fwd) RE: Longitudinal Waves

> So if there are only certain times in the cycle when energy can be added,
> then there are times in the cycle when there is more power than at others.
> Therefore the wave form will not be a perfect wave, and in fact, every sine
> wave has a damped component depending on the efficiency of the entire
> resonant system.  But this is apparently not how engineers see it.  Somehow
> the wave generator magically distributes the energy perfectly even
> throughout the entire cycle.  And I'm a dunce for not believing this fairy
> tale.

	Two problems with this; I'll discuss the second.

	The "wave generator" doesn't "distribute the energy", it supplies it in
a manner depending on whether it is an continuous (undamped) sine wave
as from a signal generator or a power line, or a single damped impulse
as in the case of a spark-excited TC.  Consider the simple case of a
swinging pendulum, which is a mechanically-resonant system.  When it is
swinging freely, at the ends of its swing, where the pendulum is
highest, all of the energy is stored in the form of potential energy.
During the swing down to horizontal that potential energy is transferred
into velocity of the bob until, at the bottom, all of the potential
energy has been transformed into kinetic energy.  On the other part of
the swing the reverse is true, as the kinetic energy is transformed back
to potential energy. The total energy remains constant throughout the
cycle. In a damped system the energy decays in an exponential fashion,
but there are no cyclic variation. Don't make the problem harder than it
is - no magic at all, just simple physics

Ed.