Re: MMC vs Maxwell comparison

Original poster: "michael.tucknott by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <michael.tucknott-at-virgin-dot-net>

Hi All

First off a big big snip ola to keep Terry F smiling.....

"I finally built an MMC using thirty RS Arcotronics 0.047uF, 1500VDC

> caps.  I used three strings, each with 10 caps, and the total combo
> measures 0.0142uF.  I placed two one-half watt 10Meg resistors in
> series across each cap.  These MMC's are reported to be the good type,
> and have the desireable polypropylene dielectric.  These are
> yellow and tubular, but I don't have the specs handy.  These are the
> type used by Richie Burnett and Alan Sharpe in England.  I believe
> that Malcolm is using the same type also.  The number on the
> package is 114-474."

The RS Arcotronics cap that you are using are the same one used by the vast
majority of UK coilers, A few years ago Alan Sharp organized a Bulk buy from
RS components in the UK, this was followed by Richie Burnett and then a few
others. Over the past few years RS components must of thought that Christmas
has come early for them as we ordered literally 1000`s of these.

As for the performance of these caps, they are first rate, we used them in our
first MMC
and the cap is still going strong with no sine of over heating or failure,
the key
to long life
lies in the fact that the more strings you use the better the current
handling.(The
current
is split across each string).

Over the years we've built salt water caps, flat plate caps with oil
Emerson but
for a cost
versus performance factor you just can't beat the MMC, if there is a
failure of a
cap in a string
then the replacement cost is low and the rebuild/repair is simple where as the
failure of a
Maxwell will leave you with a nice white plastic "BOOK END or DOOR STOP".

Although the MMC idea was though about in the late 80`s early 90`s the
commercial
caps
just were not around at the time, but credit must go to to the two guys
that really
pioneered
the MMC, Terry Fritz from the US and Rinheart B from Germany.

Cheers Mike Tucknott (9000 caps later)