Re: How to Tune a Flat Spiral Coil

Hi Paul, Dave -

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>
>
> You may wish to measure the mutual inductance as a cross-check. This
> involves passing a 60Hz AC current through the primary, say around
> 10 amps, and measuring the voltage induced across one of the (open-
> circuit) secondary strands.  It should be around 36mV per amp of
> primary current.

Dave, I would be interested in this as well. I did this with my flat coil. I
recommend a hair dryer as a load (on high ~ 10A) (I've tried beefy 3kW
resistors and all kinds of other loads - the hair dryer has the best consistent
readings - the air stabilizes the heating elements pretty darn well). If you
can hook up a meter for the primary current and another for the secondary
voltage, you can perform concentric readings. This is pretty important for
accuracy.

For those interested, my flat secondary has a 4.2 turn flat primary 5.2" below
the secondary.

I measured: M=58.44 uH, K=0.1749

Acmi v.7b found:
SCNY-PRMY.M|SCNY-PRMY.K
   59.00 uH|     0.1765

How's that for accuracy!

> > I'm using a 15KV 60mA NST.
>
> Gosh, thats 15kV times sqrt( 6314/9.76) = circa 380kV.  That's an
> average of 380/227 = nearly 1.7kV per turn!  I'm amazed that your
> secondary will stand that.  Considering that the actual voltage
> gradient is almost certainly quite non-uniform, it could be over
> 2kV/turn in places.  Certainly raises the eyebrow in a Spock-like
> manner.
>
> Can anyone claim a similar order of secondary volts/turn from their
> coils?

Not on any of my helical coils. Haven't gone that far with the flat coil.

Take care,
Bart