Re: rf burns

Original poster: "Shaun Epp by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <scepp-at-mts-dot-net>

The cautery that you talk about is still used regularly in surgery.
Electrosurgery use up to 300 watts of RF at 500KHz in the several kv range
applied to the body.  The electrode is a flattened wire tip in a plastic
handle and the RF energy is returned via a return electrode, usually a flat
plate electrode that sticks itself onto the patients leg.  The surface area
of the flat plate protects the patient from burns at the return electrode.
Burns are caused by the amount of energy per unit area and causes heating at
that point, this is why the small tip electrode is the business end of the
ESU (electrosurgical unit).  As you said the energy not only cuts, but is
also fuses the bleeders for a cleaner and safer incision.  The electrode tip
touches the flesh or sometime is held just about it depending on the use for
cutting or fusing / burning tissue, further into the body the energy spreads
out and travels along all parts of the body until is returns by the return
electrode.  It flows by volume conduction through the body, through muscles,
tissue, organs, fluids.....

Cautery is actually using a hot wire to cut with but, it is often confused
with electrsurgery.

3MHz models are used for eye surgery at lower powers.  The ESU's sometimes
use forceps, each side of the ~~tweezers is connect to the generator so the
the RF passes through the tissue from one side of the focept to the other
side.

I'm not sure about bone or bone marrow though, but a friend of mine was
zapped by RF and he said it went down to the bone too.

I don't use these machines but I test and sometime have repaired them.

Shaun Epp