RE: line filters

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Did you say that you spent over $300 on your EMI filters?  Yikes!

Whether the direction makes a difference or not depends upon the internal
wiring configuration of the filter.  All of the filters that I have seen
are not symmetrical, and the hookup direction is in fact very important.
Hooking it up the wrong way will, as I have witnessed, toast a filter.  It
also matters whether you are using the RF ground or mains ground to ground
the filter case to.  I have studied the matter and have created a page on
my web site to discuss the issues.  Please see:
http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/emifilter.htm

If your filters are wired differently than the schematics on my page, you
may need to do things differently.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

I was reading through the archives about line filters. There appears to
be some debate about whether they should be used in reverse or in
normal configuration. I personally can't see a difference - you still
have inductors and capacitors in series or parallel no matter which way
they are connected. However, seeing I have just spent $300 on some new
filters and don't want to destroy them, I was wondering whether this
issue was ever resolved. What is the general consensus these days?