Re: How to Tune a Flat Spiral Coil

Hi Dave -

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>
>
> I can add, however, that when my flat spirals are out of
> tune the spark gap cuts out during operation for a few seconds at a time.  I
> didn't run the coil long enough at 2.5 turns to conclusively say that the
> spark gap wouldn't have cut out, but it didn't during that time.

Just a note here. Gaps in helical coils can run eratic if far enough out of
tune. I'm not sure about cutting out completely (I don't think I've witnessed
that), but I have been far enough out of tune to get almost nothing on the
output (it's been a while, but if memory serves, the gap was dismal and safety
gaps were going off like mad - I obviously didn't leave it that way long).

> Yes, the arcs occurred near the outer windings of the secondary.
> Particularly the arcs occur at the three points where the three leads exit
> the secondary.  I assume this is due to the weaker dielectric.

Yes, I think partially because of the dielectric, but maybe also due to the
higher inductance on the outer portions of the windings.

Take care,
Bart