Re: How to Tune a Flat Spiral Coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/26/02 10:00:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Ah, you didn't say -that- before. I always got the
> impression that it was arcing right through uncut
> undamaged plexi and hot glue.
>
> Where is it arcing to?
>
> And I thought those three outer ends were grounded and
> the center was the high voltage side.
>
> Steve Greenfield

Hi Steve, Dave, All,
This makes more sense all the time. With the center grounded, is seems to me
that what you are seeing is analogous to what you would have with a standard
TC, if the primary were put around the topload instead of the base; i.e.,
ionization and severe arcing from the HV end of the secondary coil to the
nearby primary.