Re: Different MASS MOT's.

Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi Jim.

	In general, core size gives a good indication of power handling,
however measurements tell the real story.  I have one MOT that is huge,
yet puts out very little current for its size.  For what its worth, I
did measurements on my 5 MOTs, and found that the two most similar in
outward appearance actually have very different outputs.  Conversly, my
2 largest and smallest xfmrs are nearly indentical in output, so I use
them to run my coil (when I use my MOT PSU).  They sure do look strange
together though, one is 2x as big as the other :-).  The small one gets
warm faster, but that's about the only problem I've had.

	Also, wattage ratings on ovens can be deceiving.  A low wattage oven
may be using a large transformer "ballasted" on the high voltage side
with a small voltage doubler cap.  My largest MOT came from an 850 watt
oven (these seem to be a common size).  Higher output ovens may just be
driving a smaller transformer harder.

	Seriesing your 2 MOTs shouldn't be a problem.  A "good" MOT should be
large, have thick pri. and sec. wire, and if you want lots of current
(FUN! :-)), should have small shunts (more, or larger shunts indicate
greater current limiting, generally).

Best of Luck,
Winston

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim McPherson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kingjamez80-at-hotmail-dot-com>