Re: Cap help

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/26/02 3:01:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi Guys, A little help please. I got these caps out of some wild looking
> power
> supplies (no trannys)Big heat sinks for diodes.Specs
> GE dielektrol
> 97f8629fc
> 14.5uf
> 700Vpk
> 8.5 by 4by2 inches
> Does this mean 700 volts peak?
> I have over 40 of theses,hope their good for something
>                                       thanks        john in nyc

Hi John,
Yes, that's what it means. I am using a bank of 15uf 660V GE capacitors for a
switch-selectable PFC when running various size coils. it runs like this:
Switch 1 turns on 4 caps in series ~3.75uf, switch 2 turns on 2 in series
~7.5uf, switch 3 turn on one ~15uf, switch 4 turns on 2 in parallel, ~30uf,
switch 5 turns on 4 in parallel ~60uf, switch 6, 8 in parallel ~120uf, switch
7, 16 in parallel for 240uf. With 37 caps and 7 switches, I can select any
value from 3.75 to 476uf in 3.75 uf increments. Of course, it is a 2' x 2' box
and weighs about 100#, but it's a giant real-time adjustable cap.  The switches
are ordinary 15A/125V household switches -at-$0.47 each. They are way too big and
way too slow for a TC tank cap but they work fine for this application. Also,
since each cap can hold 3.5 J, you might have the beginnings of an interesting,
if modest, pulse discharge system.

Matt D.
G3-1085