Re: latest - Re: Ball Lightining

Hi Marc,

At 08:19 PM 1/1/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>
>> could get the input impedance right near 50 ohms for the generator by
>> working with the coupling.
>
>Can you explain how you measured this?

I had a Pearson current monitor and TEK 5100 RF voltage probe connected
directly to the output of the power supply showing current and voltage on
the scope:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Tek01-01-01.gif

It's sort of like cheating isn't it ;o))

>> So I fired it up and got lots of nice flaming arcs:
>

>It looks like there is some brass, or maybe some parts or combos there
>of, in you're flame?
>Could you try that carbide end mill that i sent, and maybe one of the
>carbide electrodes from that gap as the ground? I would like to see if,
>as you say below, contamination changes the outputs any?

The end mill is sort of ended up with my milling machine stuff :o))
However, I tried those bullet inserts:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P1010025.jpg

The flame was about the same color but I happened to catch it hitting the
plated copper wire on top.  You can see a very orange appearance as it eats
the wire.  These bullet inserts were shaped just right to give a very
stable flame.

>> I was not able to get fire balls like Ritchi but I have seen such balls on
>> a high power (8kW) power supply of the same basic type as my 900 watt unit
>> during arc testing.  The flame just seems to explode into a ball (there may
>> have been hot metal there).  I seem to almost be getting them but I just
>> need more power ;-))
>>
>> The fire balls I have seen do seem to rise quickly from the heat and last
>> only a second.  They did not drift around as described for natural ball
>> lightning.  I would guess that the fire balls Tesla describes in passages
>> like Pages 379 to 381 of his Colorado Spring's notes ("Nolit 1978" version
>> opposite photo LIV) are the same as Ritchi and I describe.
>
>I wonder if the energy "in" the atmosphere could be helping to support
>the chain reaction?
>I wonder if a setup like yours, run along with a standard tc that is
>detuned to prevent breakout, Could help "add" some energies?

Bill Wysock tried to discharge a big 75 joule pulse cap in a TC streamer
once but I think it blew up the neighborhood :o))

http://www.ttr-dot-com/hist.html

I wonder what a 10 kiloJoule cap would do!! =:O

I sort of doubt nearby "things" would have much effect.  I know there are
all kinds of fancy theories about anti-matter, fields, and all that, but it
looks like it is far more simple and mundane.  The air currents and all
that seem like the key.  Sort of like blowing smoke rings, it's hard to do
at first but once you have it figured out it's easy...

Cheers,

	Terry