Re: gapped mot

Hi,

There is no "safe" way to measure MOT output current.  High-current,
high-voltage, high-power...  Lots can go dramatically wrong for the average
guy with simple equipment...  Measuring the current from a pig is about the
only thing harder.

"I" hook a multimeter that can measure 20 amps across the output.  I am
really darn sure to hook it up correctly and get it set right too!!  If you
forget and put it on the wrong range are something, the meter will be
totally destroyed in the fire.  I use a meter I can afford to destroy if
things don't go right.  I isolate the meter on insulators to insure it will
not contact any metal or grounded surfaces.  Then I switch on power to the
MOT and read the current before the breakers trip and the light go out...

I am very ready for fire, explosions, and such.  It's just not a "nice"
test to do.  I hate doing this test and I just "don't" these days.

However, it is "probably about two amps".  I would recommend just going
with that number and not trying to test it.  If you do test it.  Just be
ready for it to all blow up!!  If you prepare for the worst, it will go
fine.  If you don't, the worst will happen...

Maybe you could use a step down transformer or variac and only input say
10VAC and extrapolate the results up or make a graph.  Much less could go
"really wrong" then.

Cheers,

	Terry