Re: Single vs Two Phase (was - Spark gap erosion resistance)

Original poster: "Wall Richard Wayne by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

Ed,

Sorry about the phase illusions you seem to be operating under. 8>)  120 vac is
single phase varying around the neutral.  220 two phase vac has two hot wires,
each varying around neutral and their phases are 180 electrical degrees apart.
As one peaks the other is at the opposite trough 180 electrical degrees away at
the same instant.  Of course, 220 three phase vac has three hots all 120
electrical degrees apart.

If you're interested any electrical utility would be happy to explain it to
you.  As an aside, I have had all three three types at one time or another.

RWW