Re: Single vs Two Phase - both sides are right!

Original poster: "Alex Crow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alexcrow-at-blueyonder.co.uk>

Hi all,

I would say from my reading of various ham radio and RF design texts that the
two 'hots' in a 240v system (with the centre being neutral, and if this is
really how it works in the US) are 180 degrees out of phase, relative to some
DC reference voltage, so that at any point in time the voltage between them
is twice that between each leg and neutral (which is the 'zero crossing' for
both waveforms). I see it like this (sorry, ASCII art was never my strong
point)-

       _      +120
      /	\
Hot1 |---|-------0
         \_/  -120

          _   +120
         / \
Hot2 |---|-------0
      \_/     -120

Are these two waves not mathmematically 180 degrees phased in time? This also
reminds me of a "bridge" style amp, eg for a subwoofer, where you must invert
one signal to produce the doubling of voltage (and x4 in power) for the
speaker.

*However*, as far as the load is concerned, it sees a 240V, single-phase
voltage and current, since the Neutral isn't involved. Hence, both parties
are right in some way. I think we'll have to agree to differ here guys!

As for the 2-P 90-degree phased old system, I've never heard of it so I won't
even try to comment!

Cheers,

Alex