Re: RSG electrode size

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/7/02 9:23:47 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>
>
> I am in the process of building my pole transformer powered coil. I finished
> my
> SRSG a couple of months ago. After reading a lot of recent posts talking
> about
> 1/4" tungsten, I am now wondering if I made my electrodes too small. The SRSG
>
> specs are as follows.
>
> 3600 RPM
> Synchronous
> 4 flying electrodes, 1/8" thoriated tungsten
> 4 stationary electrodes, 5/32" thoriated tungsten
> 10" G10 rotor, 1/2 " thick
> 1/2 HP motor modified for synchronous operation
> 240 BPS operation
>
> The coil will be operated at power levels from 5 KVA to 10 KVA from the pole
> transformer. Are these electrode diameters too small? Any comments?
>
> Steve: Coiling in Iowa
>

> Steve

,

Your sync rotary gap sounds similar to mine.  You can see pictures at my web
site:
http://members.aol-dot-com/esondrmn/index.html
I run with the same transformer, at about 7 kva.  My electrodes are 1/2"
diameter copper with tungsten faces on them - and they get very hot.

Ed Sonderman