Re: Thanks for all the sstc help. one more ...

Original poster: "Jan Florian Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

> Thanks for all the help with the making of my sstc. I
> am very plzed. it preforms well and ill have pics
> soon:)) I have been wondering how small of a coil
> might be built and still have spark output? and what
> kind of control circuit should i use as freq go past
> 600khz

600kHz is pretty much. I'd think that at those frequencies much more power
goes to cooking your transistors, than what goes to the streamers.
Means, maximally some 10W are practical at those freqs.

Expect of course if you use super fast mosfets and a VERY low impedance
gate drive which can give out some ten amps peak, so that mosfets are
switched faster than maybe 50ns. But, I'd figure "standard" high
power mosfets like IRF740 are too slow for this, they have around 50ns
rise and fall times plus maybe 100ns propagation delay (someone please
correct me if this is wrong).

At least in my opinion 400kHz is already on the verge of being too high a
frequency. Better go lower freq. And larger secondary (a bucket, maybe?).

 - jan

--
 high voltage at http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla