Re: Small, Medium, Large coil sizes

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><A123X-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>What do all of you consider to be a mini coil, a small coil, a medium coil,
>large coil, a very large coil, and a beastly coil?
>
>Mark

Mini:
Scott C.'s little one that makes 1" arcs.
Ignition coil ones.
Anything wound on a test-tube, vitamin tube, etc.
Anything under 1" sec-dia.

Small:
Most VTTC coils, anything under 3.5" sec.

Medium:
4"-6" coils, this seems to be the most common size for a homebuilt TC.
Though I have seen a 4" coil toss 6+' arcs! Mainly NST farm coils.

Large
8"-12" coils like the Group's Gemini. This is where you start getting into
Pig power.

Very Large:
Most Pig coils, secondaries greater than 15", arc lengths over 15'. The
Groups Haruka coil would fall into this range.

Beastly:
Coils that stop being portable, or require cranes and semi-trailers to move.
Things like the 13M, Electrum, the ALF and the Avalon coils. This is where
the laws of regular coiling get funky and strange things start happening.
There's a lot of research to be done in the beastly range of coiling.

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group