Re: anybody tryied depotting NST with steam?

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Actually, I melted my "tars" at between 100° - 130°F
(depending on the manufacturer). For depotting, you
simply need to soften the tar enough for it to ooze
out. You don't want to subject the windings to 500°!

The steam might work, but I often left my NST's in the
oven for a half hour or so, then poured out some, then
repeated. The whole process took over an hour.

Adam

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> Joseph,
>   Although you have an innovative idea, I don't know
> that steam, without being
> under pressure can get hot enough to liquify tar.  I
> will soften it for sure,
> but don't know that it will do what you wish within
> a reasonable amount of
> time.  I 'hot roofed' houses for a summer job while
> in college. we heated the
> tar up to about 500ºF to get it liquid.  Steam can
> only get up to 212º without
> being in a pressure vessel.
> Mike
>

> > Has anybody tried to melt the tar out with steam?
> >
> > I'm hopeing for a price drop (its about ~150$ now)
>
> > before I get one and try it myself.
> >
> > any input?
> > -Joseph Gallo

=====