Re: singing arc

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

I did notice a "singing" arc while i was doing the early testing of the
triggered gap and dc from an nst. I was using a pwm variable frequency
driver and it seemed  that at certain settings of break rates along with
pulse duration's, the arcs would sing with a definite musical tones? It
never seemed that at any set placing would give these tones, but more
like just when the right surcumstances were hit upon. I remember one
setting that gave a police siren pitch swing that even brought my
girlfriend into the lab to see what was sounded so "neat". Of coarse
after i couldn't get it to repeat within her short attention span she
left mumbling something about how messy the lab was, Oh well?
I'm working on getting a nice solder station so my electronics projects
will hopefully last longer then a one shot deal, I've been told that
this should help me immensely, I really would like to build another one
of these drivers, or maybe there is a way to use an oscillating tube of
some kind that can be adjusted to give a variable triggered pulse?
The combination of variable trigger frequencies and pulse duration's
definitely gives some interesting streamer shapes and sounds. maybe a
vacuum tube arrangement coupled to an audio source could be made to
trigger a gap, or i could really be showing some dumb hear (but those
that know me, know that i'm not afraid to show some dumb now and then) a
series of small coils, each set for different audio frequencies and
controlled by a crossover setup of some kind? Kinda like Ben Franklin's
glass bowl harmonica only with a few tc's?
Wow i'm really stretching now so i'll say:
Good day,
Marc M.