Re: anybody tryied depotting NST with steam?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/10/02 11:54:56 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> .  Apart
> from the explosion hazard, getting hit in the wrong place (ie: any) by
> SHS is something to be avoided.
>
> So, if you use it, take the same care that you would when working with
> energized equipment.
>
> Cheers
>
> Matthew Smith

Matthew,

You are absolutely right about the hazards of super heated steam.
As a fire fighter, I am well aware of this hazard by first hand exper-
ience. When we attack the base of a fire with the stream of a noz-
zle delivering in the 100 to 200 GPM range, the resulting gush of
steam is very hot and will seriously burn any exposed skin that it
comes in contact with. That is why we are required to wear Nomex
hoods over our heads underneath our helmets to protect our ex-
posed skin that the helmet and airmask do not cover. In my 13+
years as a FF, I have seen on numerous occasions where a fellow
FF got his ears burnt from SHS when he did not properly don his
Nomex hood before attacking the fire. So everyone should be aware
of these hazards before dealing with steam.

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben