Help with TC

Original poster: "Sean Taylor by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <taylorss-at-rose-hulman.edu>

Hi all,
I have several TCs that I have been working on for quite a while, and
it seems that I can never get arcs nearly as big as people have said
on webpages, on the list, etc. for the same input power.

Currently, I am running a coil with two 9k60 NSTs in parallel, a PE
homemade cap of 35 nF, 3/8 copper tubing for the primary, and 22 AWG
wire for the secondary on a 4" PVC form, about 28" tall.  The primary
is an inverted cone, about 30 degrees, and has about 10 turns (should
be more?). It seems like I can only get it to run somewhat well if the
primary is tapped all the way in at around 2 to 2 1/2 turns, and wont
run well anywhere else.  I don't have an output terminal, and I know
this would lower the operating frequency, and then I would have to tap
it out farther.  Also, do the wire lengths from the cap to the primary
make a huge difference? They are 10AWG, but are about 3 feet long
almost, as my cap is in 4" PVC, a rolled type, so the terminals are
fairly far away. I just bought 12 0.05uF -at- 10KVDC caps for a MMC.
Will this help a lot? I am using a RQSG, with 9 sections, and a fan to
quench the spark.  What else could be improved, or what more
information is needed?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Sean Taylor