Re: Synchronous Rotary Mechanical Bridge Rectifier

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> >
> > Tesla list wrote:
> > >
> > > Original poster: "rheidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz
> > <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>
> > >
> > > The Edison cell chargers that powered lights and radios used mechanical
> > > rectifiers. the read was tuned like a tuning fork and magnetized with a
> > > magnet. As the AC powered a solinoid coil the read would vibrate
on/off at
> > > the power frequency producing 1/2 wave DC. A sync. rotery gap should
do the
> > > same job if timed correctly.
> > >   Robert  H
> >
> >         Somewhere I still have a Benwood battery charger which uses a
> vibrating
> > reed in the manner you describe.  It works just fine and makes
> > incredible radio noise!
>
> Ed, All
> I recently was given a box of electrical goodies (my friends say that if
> it has a cord or used electricity, marc will want it) this box included
> a working "westinghouse "rectigon" "cell charger" that uses a rectifier
> that they call a "bulb" (looks like a light bulb). anyway, in the goodie
> box is a " "zenith" vibrator part #190-22v.
> Could this be one of what you're talking about? it is very heavy.
>
> Take care,
> Marc
>

> > Ed

	No.  That's probably a vibrator used as part of a power supply
operating off a battery and supplying high voltage to the plates of a
tube receiver.  The synchronous rectifier to which I referred was long
gone by the time auto radio vibrators came along.  By the way, if the
vibrator has four pins it does not rectify and is just used to chop the
input to the stepup transformer, which uses some other type of
rectifier., If it has six pins it almost certainly a "synchronous
vibrator" which does rectify the chopped output of the transformer;
 there is a second set of contacts in it which does indeed act as a
synchronous rectifier.

Ed