Re: FCC Regs

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "rheidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>
> >
> > Try to avoid an official answer, the sledge hammer boys talk rough.
> > Basicly any emmission 0ver 25 milli watt in a broadcast frequency band is
> > controled.
>
>         Discretion is the better part of arguing with The Man.
>         My understanding is that the formal limits are:
>
>                 interference to licensed service
>         and
>                 intentional emitters banned.  (limited as above)
>
>         It is commonly said that TC do not radiate well.
>
>         best
>         dwp

	The coil itself is a very poor radiator, and the power radiated at the
operating frequency is negligible.  However, the primary circuit can
generate oscillations of the order of 50 to 200 MHz, and these will be
radiated quite well.  Bottom line - keep all of the primary leads short
and plead ignorance if anyone complains about TV interference.

	As for the FCC, it's best not to ask them questions if you won't like
the answers.  They can't say yes to something like a TC, but they
certainly don't really care much about the problems they MIGHT cause.
If you don't bug your immediate neighbors you should be OK.  By the way,
remember that the sound of the gap can be heard a long way off on a
quiet night when people are watching TV!  Even if you like to listen to
it, it's giving you away so muffle it if you can.

Ed