Re: anybody tryied depotting NST with steam?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Actually, I melted my "tars" at between 100° - 130°F
> (depending on the manufacturer). For depotting, you
> simply need to soften the tar enough for it to ooze
> out. You don't want to subject the windings to 500°!
>
> The steam might work, but I often left my NST's in the
> oven for a half hour or so, then poured out some, then
> repeated. The whole process took over an hour.
>
> Adam

	What kind of a mess did it make in the oven?  How bad did it smell when
you were through?  I'd like to unpot a couple of small transformers but
my wife would kill me if I messed up the oven the way I did the
microwave (zapping a CD).

Ed