Re: spark gap and tank cap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/11/02 11:16:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "colin.heath4 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <colin.heath4-at-ntlworld-dot-com>
>
> hi all
>
> can any one tell me the best way to connect up my table top coil it is run kV
> NST, .0132mf tank cap multiple gap and is 2" by 12" secondary. i have had
> first
> light with 4" sparks to grounded rod, that's with only one gap of about 1
> 16th "
> anyway i need to know how to connect cap and gap i ran mine with cap in
> parallel and gap in series but have herd many bad things and good about this
> please help?

Hi Colin,
         Either way will work. However, it has been shown that the
cap-parallel-Xfmr mode places higher stress on the transformer (especially
NSTs) and leads to shorter life expectancy. The only advantage I can see to it
is that you don't need a bleeder or other discharge system for the cap after
power-down. IMHO a string of bleeder resistors is much cheaper than a new
tranny, even if it lasts a couple of years.
Matt D.
G3-1085