Re: Need help maximizing sparks - quick!

Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <f-hammer-at-post5.tele.dk>

Patric!

I typed your numbers into my _Registered_ (hint!) copy of Wintesla *,
using the following values:

Secondary = 4" by 28" 1100T 18.77mH, 9.13 pF
Topload   = 4"diametre tubing with 16" outside diametre = 23.35 pF
Primary cap = 14.7 nF (=1 string of 15 pcs. 0.22µF caps.

This should give you good tuning if you tap the primary at 10.6 turns.

I would use the 12kV transformer to start with, since it will be able to
"pull" a slightly larger cap.

Start running the coil with the bottom turn of the secondary approx 1
inch above the primary coil. This will provide a low coupling, more
tolerant of poor tuning.

*  Wintesla is written by R. Scott Coppersmith, but I found a copy here
at G. Weavers design page.:

http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~gweaver/design.htm

Hope this helped
Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Patrick Leonard by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <transactoid-at-rogers-dot-com>

> I am supposed to present my coil this coming friday, so I quickly need to get
> my TC tuned for maximum spark output (and maximum audience impressing :)  I
> have a variety of components but I'm not really sure how to combine them to
> produce the maximum spark lengths possible. I'd love if you guys could
give me
> some advice.
>
> Power: 12/30 nst or 15/30 nst <--which ever would work "best" with my other
> parts...
>
> Primary: 15.5 turns of 0.25" copper tube, spaced 0.25" with 6" ID.
>
> Secondary: I have two. Both wound on 4" PVC.  One is 28" wound with #28
AWG the