RE: Need help maximizing sparks - quick!

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Patrick -

You can design your coil quickly by clicking for the on-line computer
program JHCTES Ver 3.3

    http://mgte-dot-com

click on TESLA
click on JHCTES
click on JHCTES Ver 3.3 computer program

As an example using your 4" x 24" coil

The INPUTS - Spiral Primary

   Pri cap          = .015uf
   Pri avg rad      = 5.4
   Pri width turns  = 5.0

   Sec radius       = 2.0
   Sec turns        = 1056 = 44 TPI x 24"
   Sec TPI          = 44.0  #24 AWG
   Sec hgt abv pri   = 0
   Sec term         = 17 pf  4" x 16"

Some of the OUTPUTS

   Oper Freq        = 238.35 KHZ
       No Term      = 408.24

   Spark lgt        = 26.69 "
   Mut ind          = 130.20 uh
   Coupling         = 0.182
      Raise 1"    Mut ind   =  105.08
                  Coupling  =  0.147

   Pri ind          = 29.73 uh
   Pri Turns        = 10.091
   Pri c/c spacing  = .50"   .25" tube + .25" space
   Sec Lgt          = 24"
   Sec self cap     = 8.79 pf
   Sec ind          = 17.29 mh

You may have to adjust some of the inputs to agree with your coil. Don't
forget to press "ReCalculate" after you make changes.
You get the maximum spark length by proper tuning of your coil and a lot of
experience. Raising the secondary above the primary will help cure some of
the sparking problems if you have any.

John Couture