Re: Top Terminal Reduction?

Hi Matt -

You should be confused. I get this question a lot and now have a link to
instructions on how to use this input. You'll see a link "Use with E-Tesla
6" near
the top of JavaTC.

www.classictesla-dot-com/java/javatc.html
If you don't see JavaTC at version 8, refresh your browser.

Version 8 of JavaTC was uploaded yesterday, so your timing is good. The top
load
capacitance is affected by it's proximity to the coil and surroundings. The
free-space toroid capacitance should be adjusted to attain the correct loaded
frequency of the secondary. This particular input reduces the toroid
capacitance
(a 10 in the box indicates the toroid capacitance will be reduced by 10
percent of
it's free-space capacitance).

Now, how to find that number? Use E-Tesla 6 and note the frequency. Then go
back
to JavaTC and change the Top Terminal Reduction percent until the frequency
matches E-Tesla 6. E-Tesla 6 should be used for most programs to find the
toroid
capacitance.

The main change to version 8 was to the mail-out function for adding coil
data to
the database as well as cleaning up this area and a few other areas. The
database
allows coilers to comeback to JavaTC, type in the password, and click a button.
The coils data is loaded in and calculated. In previous versions, the mail-out
function was not working with Internet Explorer and possibly other browsers (I
wasn't receiving the data for database inclusion). I re-wrote the script and
tested with IE6, Netscape 4.x, and Netscape 6. They all work.

BTW, if people haven't upgrade their browser to IE6 or Netscape 6, you should.
Style sheets are taking over (css) and the old 4.x versions won't show the
page as
intended. IE6 is much faster than Netscape 6.

Take care,
Bart
--
Barton B. Anderson