Possible bulk magnet wire buy -- read soon!! (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 02 11:16:13 EST
From: Jim Monte <JDM95003-at-UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Possible bulk magnet wire buy -- read soon!!

Hi All!

I have been quiet here for a while -- busy doing other things.  But...

While looking around Ebay, I happened to find what looks like a very
good deal for magnet wire.  The starting bid is 66.5 cents per pound
for 19.5 AWG heavy build green magnet wire.  But there is a catch:
the auction is for 526 pounds of wire on 8 spools.  That is a bit
more than even a pack rat like me would like to buy.  So I am looking
for some people interested in one or more spools of this wire.

I found the auction on Thursday, and emailed the seller asking him
if he would ship each spool to a separate location via UPS at actual
cost.  (See a copy of this email and his reply below.)  The seller
agreed to this.  I would pay for the entire auction and shipping,
and then Rea Magnet Wire, Inc. would ship each spool to its new home.
Unfortunately, the message I originally sent somehow got lost, so
I did not get a reply until this morning, and now there is only about
24 hrs left until the auction ends.  So if there is going to be a
bulk buy for this wire, things have to get done quickly!

Here is what I would like people who are interested in this purchase
to do.  Send *ME* (jdm95003-at-uconnvm.uconn.edu) NOT tesla-list!! an
email with
     1) your name
     2) the amount you would be willing to bid per 66 lb spool.
        Note that this amount does NOT the cost of shipping the
        spool to you, which you would also be required to pay.
        Also note that the amount that you actually pay for the
        wire will only be your portion of the total auction
        closing cost.
     3) the number of spools of wire that you want
     4) the number of spools of wire that you would be willing to
        buy to enable the auction to take place.  That is, if there
        are not enough spools taken, you may be willing to buy an
        additional spool or two so that all spools are claimed.

Here is what I will do with this information.  I will determine the
amount that we collectively are willing to bid for the auction and
then bid that amount some time early tomorrow morning.  I want to
make it clear that we are NOT competing between ourselves for the
wire.  For anyone who emails me, it is first come, first served.
But if person 1 is willing to bid $45 per spool while person 10 is
willing to bid $90 per spool and the auction price goes above $360,
person 10 would get the wire if we won the auction.  If I have to
use the extra spools in item 4 to get have all of the spools bid for,
the people getting the extras would be the ones who bid highest.

By sending me an email, you will be agreeing to pay for at most the
number of spools that you specify in item 4 above or fewer, perhaps
even fewer than the amount that you requested in item 3.  For example,
this would happen if you requested two spools of wire, but 7 spools
were claimed by other people who sent me emails before you did and
they bid high enough to win the wire.  The amount that you pay per
spool would be 1/8th of the closing price, not 1/8th of your
bid amount -- I am not making a profit on this in any way.

You also will be agreeing to pay for shipping for your spools.  The
seller is in Indiana, and for me in CT, UPS looks like it will be
about $20 for a spool.  The seller listed his address below, and UPS
has a rate calculator at www.ups-dot-com where you can calculate what your
costs would be.  You will be agreeing to pay me for your wire and
shipping before the wire is shipped by credit card, including an
additional 2 or 3 per cent on the total amount which is charged by
the credit card company.  Finally, in the hopefully unlikely event
that the seller does not provide the wire, you agree to assume a
proportional risk.  That is, if the seller is dishonest, takes our
money and does not provide any wire, we each lose the amount that
we paid:  I do not want to assume all of the risk for this myself.

I want to explain why I am making the payment by credit card.  First,
it is quick.  When an auction ends, people want to get paid quickly,
and before I pay for the auction, I want to get paid for the items
being shipped to other people.  By credit card, this can be done in
a matter of minutes.  I have a friend with a business who agreed to
do the processing, with the only charge being the amount that the
credit card company charges him.  This is not particularly risky on
your part, since your credit card bill will have information about
the transaction documented.  I decided against a service like PayPal
for a couple of reasons.  First, I have only bought things with
PayPal.  With the limited time we have, I do not have time to look
into details about getting paid from them.  (I believe that there
are some charges depending on the amount payment type, etc..)  More
importantly, the glow of PayPal is wearing off for me.  This service
seemed great at first, but I had a small problem with them. (A payment
I made was supposed to be via credit card, but they withdrew from
my checking acct instead and would not correct the error.)  Since then
I found literally hundreds of complaints about them.  But this is
getting off topic.  Let it suffice that I do not want to do business
with them if I can avoid it, and I am not going to abuse your credit
card information.  A web search should turn up plenty of details about
PayPal if you would like to read more about problems with them.

If you are interested in the wire, take a look at the auction (see
the item number below) and send me an email QUICKLY.  I am sorry to
rush this, but I wanted to send this post on Friday, and now there
is less than a day left!  One final detail:  if you read the auction
below, the seller writes that each spool weighs ABOUT 66 lbs, and the
total weight is 526 lbs.  If the ABOUT amounts to more than a few
pounds, I will adjust charges to each person by actual weights.

Hoping to see many green coils in the future,
Jim Monte