Re: Tesla Coil (RF) radiation range

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/14/02 6:50:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "J Whyte by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <xoom321-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> I am curious how far a 6kW Tesla Coil would broadcast "Radio Frequency"
> radiation.
> Anybody know?

         To infinity, at 186,000 mi/sec, losing power inversely as the square
of the distance. Now if you ask how strong at what distance, then the question
has meaning. The exact answer depends upon the configuration of the particular
coil, but as an example:
         Let's say your 6 kW coil will light a 40w fluorescent bulb to full
brightness at 20 ft. This is 40watts. At 40 ft you will have 10 watts, at 80 ft
you will have 2.5 watts, at 160 ft 625 milliwatts, at 240 ft  ~156 milliwatts,
at 480 ft ~39 milliwatts, etc.etc.

Which is considered a safe distance for sensitive electronic
equipment (ie/ computer, HDTV or standard TV, digital video cameras etc.)

         This depends on the shielding in the equipment, the equipment's
sensitivity, and whether or not any power lines feeding the equipment run close
to your coil. (in the floor, walls, etc.) Induced currents in a household power
line are the most catastrophic.
Some people have run PCs within 10ft of a coil with no problem, some have
killed their neighbors TV across the street.  There are just too many variables
to give a good answer for any particular coil without more specifics and
measurement. My coil runs in a garage that is completely lined with
well-grounded wire mesh (aka chicken wire) so radiated power or line strikes
are not a problem.