Re: Air core variable cap...

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/15/02 8:15:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Glycerin appears to be totally unsuitable as a capacitor dielectric in a HV
> capacitor. It failed utterly in my HV breakdown tester. I do not know if that
> was because of possible water content in the sample acquired from a bottle of
> the stuff bought at the corner drugstore, or something to do with its basic
> chemical structure. It definitely works better than mineral oil as a coffee
> sweetener however but I have no data on the toxicity.

Glycerin, (or more properly glycerol) is a triple alcohol (three sets of C-O-H
bonds) which gives it poor insulating properties. It is, however, an effective
laxative, so go easy sweetening your coffee with it. ;-)

Matt D.