Re: series pigs

I assume that Greg (the first) is running low voltage in parallel and high
voltage in series, so he would be getting 20 kVA at 22kV.. or, if HV
windings in parallel, 20 kVA at 11 kV.

Probably a more important issue is going to be the capacitors.  You're going
to have the same basic stored energy (since that's the 20 kVA in...) in the
capacitors total.  If you're using MMCs, the max energy that can be stored
in one little cap is the same regardless of configuration (set by C and max
V), so at a first order, the cap cost is the same.  However, there are max
RMS current limits, and certain arrangements of caps work better (i.e. fewer
caps to get the required voltage and or current rating).

The spark gap losses are probably represented best by a fixed voltage drop,
so increasing the tank voltage is good (reduces the fraction of the voltage
in the gap).

Resistive losses are less at lower currents (by the square!) so higher
voltage is favored from that standpoint as well.

A tricky one to evaluate is the ESR of the capacitor(s).  Is it truly a
series resistance (at least as far as modeling)?  Consider two cases:
 you have two caps of capacitance 1 and voltage rating 1.  You can either
run the tank at voltage=1 and current=2 or voltage=2 and current=1.  In the
first case, you put the caps in parallel, so the ESR of the whole lot is
1/2.  The current is 2, so the losses are 0.5 * (2^2) = 2.  In the second
case, the caps are in series, so the ESR of the whole lot is 2. The current
is now 1, so the loss is 2 * (1^2) = 2 again.  I suspect that it works out
the same regardless of configuration.