Re: Dissolve Xfmr laminations

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Daniel Hess by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dhess1-at-us.ibm-dot-com>

> Forgive me if this has been discussed on the list previously but does
> anyone know what will dissolve the stuff that they use to glue transformer
> laminations together with? I've recently come across two large power
> transformers that I want to disassemble and rebuild as a current limiting
> inductor for my pig.
>
> The transformers look as if they were literally dipped in the stuff; Root
> beer color and is brittle. Chips off easily. I've tried acetone, lacquer
> thinner and mineral spirits but this stuff just laughs at these solvents.
> I'm tempted to invest in a five gallon pail of Berryman's B-12 Chemdip
> (carburetor cleaner) but I'd hate to invest $90.00 just to find that it
> won't work either.
>
> My goal is to reassemble the laminations in an 'E' config with an 'I'
> plate, separated by a plastic shim to provide current adjustment.
>
> Daniel

	I suspect you're not going to get anywhere, but have you tried
concentrated lye solution (preferably hot)?  Haven't tried it, but was
suggested to me at one time.  You might also try "strong" paint or wire
stripper (kind with formic acid).  Either one of these things is really
nasty stuff!!!!!!!!

Ed