RE: Dissolve Xfmr laminations

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Ed

If the core is an I sitting on an E, then one can break the I off the E with
a rubber mallet and the core is really for new windings. However some cores
have E's placed up and down with I's as spacers. The only way to remove the
windings is to pull apart all the laminations. One can see that the
laminations were stuck together with some sort of varnish ever so faintly
applied. Then all the E's can be stacked into an E and the spacers can be
stacked into an I. Now the problem is to get the laminations to stick
together to cut down the inferno buzzing of the laminations. If the dry type
power transformers in question are of this type, then the act of breaking
apart the laminations is enough to cause the thickly applied varnish to
break away---just tap a butter knife out along the edges.

The best deal is the core of an x-ray transformer. Here the laminations are
not glued together, but pressed together by massive clamps and bolting
holes.

Godfrey Loudner