Re: interrupter

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Mike,

If you're dealing with a high energy system, I'd recommend using a high
power triggered spark gap as the crowbar switching element. If ringing
is a concern, you could add high current damping resistors in series
with the crowbar current path (i.e., paralleled runs of nichrome
resistance wire) to critically damp the system. This approach is
inexpensive, very robust, and the HV switch will have harder "clamping"
action than an ignitron or thyratron. Knowing the expected
operating/standoff voltage, size of the energy storage capacitance (bank
energy), and estimated crowbar loop inductance will allow you to size
the spark gap and determine the minimum damping resistance.

BTW, if power supply follow-through current is a problem, you can
temporarily interrupt mains power, extinguish the crowbar gap, then
reapply power as part of the crowbar firing control sequence. If your
peak power is at a level that might explode an ignitron, it's likely to
create a similar problem in a Wehnelt Cell from hydrodynamic shock
transmitted from the high energy spark to the container through the
intervening liquid.

Sounds like an interesting challenge!

-- Bert --
--