Re: Spark gap spacing?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/23/02 5:49:23 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> >     Hello evryone I was just woundering if some one knows the exzact
> spacing
> > between spark gap electrods for 7.5KV Perhaps some one has a data sheet on
> > various voltages on breakdown distances, or maybe a formula? Thanks a
> bunch!
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Nolan Moore

Hi Nolan,
         It depends greatly upon temperature, humidity, voltage, and shape of
the electrodes.
Example: In dry air -at- 20 deg C. between 25 cm spheres, average gap is 2.4 mm,
between needle points it is 6.3 mm.

This is why gaps must be adjustable.

Matt D.