followup on Ballasting MOTs with water

Original poster: "Cory Roussel by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <imcuddlycory-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hello,

to anyone interested in my finding about ballasting
MOTs using a jar of water as a HV resistor:

You will want to make larger electrodes then i
mentioned earlier...

Keep the temp of the water managable (raise the size
of the jar for higher wattage and/or put it in  a
icebath)

Keep it mechanically stable to whatever your working
on...

Dont seal it airtight!

i have been experiencing what i am assuming to be
underwater explosions in mine on the electrodes that
caused the jar to start 'walking' around my work bench
upon every discharge...  it eventually came to an
obsticle and FELL OVER LEAKING CHARGED WATER
EVERYWHERE, which did nothing more than scare the
daylight out of me.....  this occurs more often at
higher temperatures, hence after a little bit of
running....  the explosions do look neat thogh.  i do
beleive the reason for these mysterious explosions
would be due to the fact i am working with AC, so asin
any time you run a charge through water, hydrogen is
created on the anode and oxygen on the cathode, since
they switch polarity constantly so fast, the gas has
nowhere to gofast enough, creating a mixture of H2 and
02 on the same electrode, then electrical arcing
occurs through the mixture, causing a small
explosion... the water absorbs all the energy from the
blast though so no worries, however if were pulling
10000W somehow, then there might be a mroe sereous problem....

_