Large Transformers and Capacitors

Original poster: "Andy Cleary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cleara-at-twcny.rr-dot-com>

Hello all - I recently came across two rather large transformers, with
some characteristics unlike any other transformer I've seen.  I was
hoping I could get some opinions from those on the list. Here goes:

The transformers (which can be seen at
http://www.rpi.edu/~cleara/hv/2transformers.htm) are somewhat odd
looking:  They are exposed core, dry type.  First off, anybody know
what they could possibly be from?  Secondly, What is the reason for
them to be constructed as they are? I'm guessing just a big air-gap to
prevent arcing?  Also notice the large plastic insulation between the
secondary and the core!  And my BIG question:  The High Voltage output
wire is secured to the coil windings by a wire stemming off either
side of the main output wire.  Those wires are then each secured into
the ends of some _conductive_ tubing wrapped around the coils. (notice
in the pictures the two black rings around the secondary coils, as
well  as the two black rings around the base of the coils.)  The
tubing is actually labeled "conductive", so whoever put it there must
have had an idea behind it (it is actually about ~50k per inch).  If I
draw an arc from the HV end to the LV end, the tubing pieces start
arcing together.  Could those rings just be there to prevent the
arcing that I am trying to force? Any information would be great!

Also, I came across some very large and interesting HV caps.  They are
rated at 120KVDC, and .15uF.  For anyone interested, I've got some
pics at http://www.rpi.edu/~cleara/hv/large.htm (watch out, the
pictures are slow to download!).  Again - any idea as to what they're
used for?  Thanks,

-Andy C.

Andy Cleary - KC2GVE
AJAX Electronics