Stroke of brilliance?

Original poster: "Sean Taylor by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <taylorss-at-rose-hulman.edu>

I just had an idea . . . it might be able to go somewhere, but is probably just
a lot of extra work to accomplish not a whole lot.  Anyway . . .

In TC operation, there are huge voltage peaks that can go back into the
transformer from the primary tank oscillations.  Filters do reasonably well at
protecting the transformer, but don't entirely.  So - I was thinking about
disconnecting the transformer while the spark gap was firing - yes, 120 times a
second.   I was thinking about a rotary spark gap, and thought about changing
the conducting areas and "blank" areas, such that when the spark gap is firing,
the transformer would be disconnected from the circuit.  I.E. there are two
spinning disks on one shaft, one with bolts going through it on 2 or 4
locations, the other with metal all the way around, except in those 2 or 4
corresponding locations.  So most of the time, the transformer would be
charging the tank capacitor, then it would be disconnected just before the
electrodes lined up to fire the spark gap, then a few microseconds (~400 or
500) later (to allow for ringing to die out), the metal would come back for the
transformer to start charging the tank capacitor again.  I know it's pretty
complicated, but it would allow for isolation of the transformer and the tank
circuit, and probably allow a more efficient energy transfer to the primary,
with less damping.  Any thoughts/comments/ideas?  I'm working on building a
SRSG right now, with a fairly small motor (1/8 HP), but maybe i'll get a bigger
motor soon, and try it out.  This would all be easiest on a 3600 RPM moter, at
120 bps, so there would be many less transitions to worry about - only 2 per
revolution.  BTW - if this ends up working well, I've got rights to it :-)

Also, in case of incomplete discharge, would it be better to put a full wave
rectifier on the output of the transformer so that any leftover charge wouldn't
fight the transformer, but aid it instead?

Also, thanks to everyone who helped with the instructions for converting a
motor to sychronous - it worked wonderfully.

Sean Taylor
The Geek Group
G-1 #1204
<http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org>www.thegeekgroup-dot-org