RE: Re-configuring X-Ray Transformers

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Jack

You wrote that the transformer was rated at 125,000 volts at 300 mA. This
means that the transformer, loaded with the proper x-ray tube,  could supply
300 mA at 125,000 volts. That's short term duty at 37,500 watts. The primary
is not designed for continuous duty at 37,000 watts because not enough heat
sinking is provided. But the primary should be adequate for continuous duty
at 5000 watts to 10,000 watts. If you want to supply a load at 20,000 volts
/ 1 amp. for bombarder duty, I just don't know if the primary could handle
this for one minute. Anyway reworking your x-ray transformers in the style
you want is a major project. Maybe if you rework both transformers, you
could place them in parallel. It would probably be very difficult to get the
voltages to match, unless the transformers are identical.

Godfrey Loudner