Re: Stroke of brilliance?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

> Hi Sean

> It seems like the mechanical interruption of the transformer's primary would
> induce a cascade of transients into the transformer.

	It would preferentially be done with a synchronous motor.
	Once set, should work.

> You would have to disconnect at the right part of a cycle to avoid
> current surges. It sounds like a timing problem that would be too
> difficult to handle by mechanical means.

	A synchronous commutator, strictly analagous to a sync gap.

	On Balance, I think adequate static filtering is a better
	approach.

	Someone proposed SCRs or whatever.  Recall, please:
	This is proposed to avoid HV spikes damaging the the
	tranny.  WHAT are the spikes gonna do to the solid state
	switches????

	(Yes: HV SCRs (or whatever) can be had.  I suspect a
	filter is a better solution....)

	best
	dwp