Re: Deadman's switches

>where could one (me) get the button for the deadman's switch?

You want a standard Allen Bradly Momentary Contact pushbutton (SPST).
Usually they come with 2 sets of contacts, one wired NO and the other NC,
you want to use the NO ones (duh). I use a lighted set of buttons because:

1. It shows me that there is power to the panel and that it is armed.
2. It makes it easier to find the buttons in a dark demonstration room.
3. If I trip a breaker I know right away (Instead of troubleshooting
problems on the coil.

Also, i would
>like to make a switch board to limit the output of my transformer. Thus,
>limiting the power of my TC. Does annyone know of a site that has
>instructions
>for this?

You want a nice 20A Variac :)

>I would like it to have lots of switches, lights, and buttons. :-)

No, you don't. :) Here's why.

The CB-1 control cabinet (our current largest) will handle everything from
small 120VAC coils up to a massive 30kVA setup at 280VAC output. The cabinet
is 7' tall and about 3'X3'. It will sink 50A all day long and 100A for Tesla
duty without worrying me too much. It was originally designed for 30A and
I've upgraded it to 50 (after we melted a few internal connections blowing
up caps for fun he he he).

The enitre cabinet has 4 gauges, 2 buttons, 2 togges, a keyswitch, and one
BIG ASS KNOB OF POWER :) The controls are:
Volts In
Volts Out
Amps Out
Killivolts (calibrated from the output voltage to read what the NST,Pig,XRT
is outputting variable from a selector switch.
A Keyswitch that stops power coming into the panel, connected to a 200A
contactor that opens ALL the feeds coming in.
Two lighted pushbuttons wired in series that when both are pressed fire the
coil, when released the system stops.
1 Toggle for the SRSG power (120VAC 15A).
1. Toggle for a light-test of the panel lights.

And the big knob connects to a series of linckage to control a large Variac
that will vary the 240VAC from 0 to 280 (or as high as ~400 depending on
input power).

Keep your panel simple, and intuitive. You may have to find a button in the
dark, in a hurry, and remember Safety is the main concern.

>(another question) do the dimmer switches on the wall let the full amout of
>power go out that goes in. That is worded funney, but, i think you know
>what i
>am trying to say.

You do NOT want to use a dimmer switch for a tesla coil! They are only good
for VERy small coils or parts of coils (like a Triggered Gap power supply).
Get a real Variac :) They're not hard to come by.

>Thanks
>Adam

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1