Re: Ignition coil question

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Hi Pete,
While messing around with the gmheislr i had a gm coil setup using a
carbide single spark gap. At one point in using the variable capacitor i
hit the point of resonation and the gap went wild, the streamers from my
silver wire powered out to the ground point beautifully, so i think an
auto coil would make a good power supply for a tc if the right config
could be found?
  In this case i was inputting about 1000v dc into the coil via the gap
and about 1.9uf tank cap, the gap was set around 1\16" with no air flow.
The streamers stretched out to close to 2" and were strong blue white.
Above or bellow this capacitance range i would just get around one pulse
per second across the gap, but at that magic setting, Woohoo, streamers!
I videoed this and i'll try to throw a snap of it on my site.
  The coil survived very well for sustained one or two minute runs, i
might hook it to a small tc to see what happens? It will be challenging
to have a tank circuit for the coil and then another gap and tank
circuit for the tc for resonance, should be fun?
Take care,
Marc M.
Geek #1055