Re: 811 tube coil

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: 811 tube coil
>Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 12:42:10 -0600
>
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>In a message dated 6/29/02 3:05:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>writes:
>

> > . I do not know what is ment
> > by the term " sputter mode" of opperation  as this is not a normal tube
>term
>

>Robert,
>
>"Sputter mode" is a term I came up with about 12 years ago to
>describe the operation of a tube coil using a grid-leak blocking
>oscillator setup to obtain a pulsing action.  I used this term
>because of the generally weak and unstable operation of the
>mode.
>
>"Staccato mode" is another term I used to describe a different
>system of pulsed operation for a VTTC.  I called it this because
>of the character of the sound that the coil produced in this mode.
>This mode can be created either using timing IC's or a mechanical
>rotary switch to control the coil's on/off times.
>
>Cheers,
>John

Hi John,

What are any of the negetive effects of sputter mode?  Ive gotten my coil to
work much better since i last posted on the list.  Im at about 2.75" arcs
and nothing is really going wrong(exept no 6" spark yet).  I do notice the
frequency changing alot when i play with the arcs.  If you could tell me a
little more about this type of operation that would be helpful as im still
trying mew ideas with this coil.

Steve Ward.